Sunday, September 5, 2010

All I Really Need to Know I Learned on the Mission Field at Street Reach

Recently, I had to write a credo for my AP English III class. The teacher asked us to keep it brief and limit it to one page in length. I grudgingly complied to this, but only barely. I utilized every line possible. As I wrote it, I wondered how we as students could limit our guidelines by which we experience life to one 8.5" by 11" piece of printer paper? There are so many lessons I've learned over the years that I know will be vital in living a successful and productive life. But I had to choose a mere handful of "laws of life" from one particular mission trip to Memphis.

I'd never stopped to consider all that I'd learned from my trip to Memphis. When I thought of the time I spent there with my youth group, I thought of it in terms of the children I met and the impact I'd hopefully made on their lives. I didn't even consider the fact that these children had taught me more than I'd ever even dreamed of showing them. But in retrospect, I can clearly think of times when individual kids taught me important aspects of living life right. I can even remember--for the most part--which kids taught me what. These kids changed my life, and I'm eternally in their debt for the time they allowed me to spend with them. I'll never forget that week for as long as I live. And I will pray for them every single night of my life for as long as I'm on this earth.

But the kids weren't the only ones who taught me something that week. The leaders, the fellow teenagers, and God all showed me something while I was there, too.

This is my credo, my guideline by which I hope to always live my life.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned on the Mission Field at Street Reach


1. Know your limits. If you can only bear the weight of one child on your shoulders, don't offer to carry another in your arms. You'll strain your muscles and regret the pain later.

Montrez and his basketball taught me this invaluable lesson. For a short period of time, a thirty-pound kid and his basketball are not that heavy of a burden, but after walking the streets of that neighborhood for thirty minutes in 100 degree weather, they get to be quite heavy. (And of course, I meant this literally and metaphorically. Never bite off more than you can chew--you'll end up drowning in the consequences or sweat. Depending on if you're looking at it from the literal or metaphorical viewpoint.)

2. Patience is your most vital virtue. Never become frustrated with people or events that are out of your control. Wait for lunch to come to you; don't go looking for it. Remain calm and ready to deviate from the original plan if needed. Arts and crafts time will not be perfect every time.

Mrs. Kitty taught me this one. She always handled frustrating situations with the utmost of grace and patience. She never let anything make her lose her cool, and I really admire that about her.

3. Don't be afraid to use your “angry voice” when trouble arises. If a questionable situation spirals out of control, let others know that you don't agree with what's going on. Make sure you're opinion is heard—it matters.

That one was my youth leader. He's always taught us to maintain our integrity and never stray from our morals even when we're tempted to just go along with what everyone else is doing.

4. Stand up for others. They'll always remember the kindness you've shown them, and you never know when you might need their help in return.

That one I learned on my own from watching a small child be dropped from his cousin's arms as if he were a toy. These kids don't get shown the affection they should and usually get tossed around by other kids and older siblings. So I learned to stick up for the kids who weren't handled with care.

5. Watch out for family. These people are your greatest resource in life and should be treated as such. If someone disrespects or hurts them, make sure they know just whose family member their victim is.

Griff taught me that. He was a serious little fellow who never smiled but took care of his younger siblings as if they were his own children. I've never seen a more mature, loving eight-year-old kid in my lifetime. He truly knew the importance of family, and it nearly broke my heart to look into his sad, grown up eyes.

6. Don't hold a grudge—forgive. If your best friend punches you in the nose over whose turn it is to take the bicycle for a spin around the park, let it go. Arguments happen and chances are it won't be the last time the two of you ever fight over something as trivial as a bicycle.

All the kids taught me that. They never got mad and stayed that way for longer than five minutes. It seemed as if after that period of time, all was forgotten and the normal order of things returned just as quickly.

7. Wear sensible shoes and sunscreen to keep your feet from aching and your skin from frying.

Learned that one myself. The hard way.

8. Share the Hot Takis. If you're fortunate enough to be one of the kids with a bag of Hot Takis, spread the wealth! Not everyone is as blessed to have such a treat.

That lesson is courtesy of my favorite, Rashad, who grudgingly gave over a Hot Taki to a very, very hungry little boy. He didn't want to give them up, but he did because he knew it was the right thing to do.

9. Be appreciative of what you have. Even if you don't like the plums that come with lunch, eat them. Or find someone who's hungry enough to eat five plums if you don't want them. Someone will always be willing to trade places with you if you're not appreciative of your circumstances.

When those kids got lunch, they ate. I mean, they devoured their food. Eating breakfast made me feel guilty when I saw how hungry these kids were. But this particular incident with plums actually happened. Somehow Rashad went around the little circle of kids and ended up with about five or six plums, all of which he proceeded to eat while sitting in my lap. He had juice running down his chin and his little cheeks were bulging with the entire plum he shoved in his mouth. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

10. Don't allow a lack of worldly possessions to keep you from following your dreams. If you want to be a professional football player, work hard. Don't let the fact that you're from the poorest neighborhood in Memphis, keep you from trying to achieve that goal.

Most all of the boys there dreamed of playing pro basketball or football. They saw it as their only escape from their lives of poverty.

11. Always depend on a few good friends to keep you going. If you're going through a trying time, chances are they've been through a similar hardship themselves. You're all in that 108 degree weather together, so make the most of it.

All of us learned that while clearing what the site missionaries dubbed the "jungle" in literally 108 degree weather. With a lot of water and teamwork, we pretty much got that thing cleared out...Until our youth leader was concerned we'd pass out from heat exhaustion and sent us inside.

12. Keep the faith. Always look to God on those long, hot days when you feel like you might collapse if you don't get a nap, food, and a very long shower within the next fifteen minutes. He'll always be there to make sure you survive even the biggest of trials.

I learned this throughout the entire week, and it never ceased to amaze me how God could keep me going even when I was physically and emotionally spent. He just kept getting me up in the mornings and sending me out, and because of Him, that was probably the best week of my entire life.

One additional lesson: Memphis is a very, very, very hot place in summertime.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your credo. I like what you wrote it about very much. Kudos Katie.

    ReplyDelete