Friday, August 6, 2010

Looking for the Silver Lining

The beginning of my junior year of high school has been a little bumpy, to say the least.

The new schedule, consisting of seven periods instead of the usual (and blessed) six, is shaking things up. By the time I get to my Spanish II class, I am ready to leave, and I mean, SOON. As soon as I hear that gloriously annoying bell ring. Then, it hits me out of the blue. I must endure yet another period before escaping to my home for a much-deserved nap.

And my lunch is more than a little crowded, and crazy-loud. If you were to step into my cafeteria, I guarantee you that you'd know exactly what a zoo would look like if all of the animals escaped at feeding time and an absolute frenzy were to occur. Sit through lunchtime at my high school long enough, and you'd be prepared for the raging hunger of crazed animals in a matter of weeks.

Also, there are people who seem to have dropped off the face of the planet, people who, in some cases, I've been in class with for the past five years! And I just never see them, period. (Not one measly, little passing in the hallway or random meeting outside of a classroom. I mean, come on!) It's almost as if we don't attend the same school any longer. It makes me a little sad, kind of homesick in a way.
Things are changing, and they'll never be the same as they once were.

It's hard to accept this fact, but I will. Eventually. I'll always miss some things. But others? Let's just say that change has its upside as well. I just can't think of the silver lining at this particular moment. But it'll come to me. I know it will. I'm searching for it...Endlessly.

Like I said, eventually.

Of course, I do look forward to all of the challenges and opportunities that come with being a junior: prom...and...well, almost being a senior. That's actually really all I can think of at the moment. Sad, I know. But let's be honest, I don't really consider the PSAT and ACT and AP exams as super, totally exciting things to come in my future. I mean, what normal American teenager does? None that I can think of. But these are vital aspects of junior-dom, I suppose. Learning, expanding my wealth of knowledge. I'm up for something new, but a little bit of the old thrown in can't hurt, either.

2 comments:

  1. Junior dorm? Do you go to a boarding school? And don't worry about being a junior now; I mean, you're an upperclassman! That, my friend, can be your silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I don't. I go to public school. I just kind of made that word up. lol Like, you know, a pun on kingdom.

    ReplyDelete